Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Booger Shirt

I have sensitive ears. Not sensitive in an emotional way but in an "I'll give you a headache for the rest of the day if you don't take care of me" kind of way. When I was younger and we lived in NM ( i.e. no trees) I needed to wear earplugs everyday at recess. On a biweekly basis I would spend hours on my parent's bed alternating sides while mom poured peroxide into my ears and let them soak. I don't know if any of you have ever had liquid poured into your ears intentionally, but believe me, all you can imagine it's slowly leaking into your brain causing your eyes to look like water in a fishbowl.


This morning when Mr.Wing prepped the bikes for our morning ride, he noted that it was chilly. Let me insert here that he runs hot ALL the time and if he thinks it's chilly, I'm going to wear pants, long sleeves and my stupid ear head warmer thingy. It works incredibly well but doesn't fit under my bike helmet, hence the description. Cold rides also usually mean that my sinuses drain the entire time. I tend to this with a combination of wiping my face on my sleeve and spitting. I am always careful to make sure Ryan isn't behind me when I spit. Also, this is very calculated because we're moving forward speedily and I need to make sure I simultaneously turn my head and have enough to make it worth the effort. Gross, I suppose, but it's not like I'm peeing myself mid marathon. And really unless I want to stop every 20 seconds to blow my nose, this is how it's going to be.

After riding we take our pup (and the one we're currently dog sitting) to the park. Because my nose-faucet is still on I turn my head to spit only this time there is no wind. Must-recalculate-not-enough-time-can't-stop. I plant a giant wad right on the shoulder of my shirt. All attempts to remove it fail. Now if I can only remember not to wipe my face on my sleeve until we get home.

This is a very roundabout way of saying that chilly mornings= Fall (soon). That said, here is my all-time top 5 favorite things I love about Fall.

1. Wearing sweaters and flip flops at the same time.
2. Pumpkin everything. Pie, soup, jack-o-lanters, etc.
3. Winding down. Let me rephrase, I wind up, the state winds down. Tourists go home, students go to school and construction slows.
4. Halloween. I really like this holiday but it's Ryan's favorite. It is an exciting time of year in our home.
5. All things outdoors. I really dislike standing outside doing nothing in particular and feeling sweat run down my back. Exercising, hiking, apple picking and just being outside in general, is infinitely more awesome in the fall.


Note to self: wash today's biking clothes ASAP


-sj thinks you're great!

Location:Home

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Amie and I were laughing so hard:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great writer. And spitter, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever considered nose plugs? Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete